Thursday, August 11, 2011

Even More on Mosquito Control

My neighbour came up to me today and suggested there "is nothing I can do about the mosquitoes". That is not correct.

First, the easiest way to kill mosquitoes is when they are larvae. They are easy to find and easy to kill.

1) Go to the lake or other water body.

2) Look carefully in sheltered areas. (around docks and marshy areas are good choices)

3) Find larvae. If you are not sure what they look like, follow this link or type "mosquito larvae" in Google Image Search.

4) Here is a photo of larvae knocked out from under my dock (I make waves with my boat near my dock to knock the larvae out where the fish and other predators have a better chance of eating them):


 The white bits are the "shells" left after the adult leaves, the black ones are still maturing.
Kill the black ones. (click image to view larger)

5) Use a strainer to remove the larvae from the water (as in this photo). Then let them fry in the sun.

 There are about 40 larvae in this strainer and took about 5 minutes to collect.
(click image to view larger)

If everyone took a few minutes each day to scoop out the larvae, there would be no more mosquitoes!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this out, thanks for the tip. Have you ever used anything like a mosquito fogger? I'm looking for some immediate relief and a friend mentioned I should check one out, now I'm just looking for thoughts online. They seem reliable and safe enough, but I've never met anyone who has used one.

    ReplyDelete

Please Comment!

Or, anyone can become a contributing Author to the Wasa Lake Blog! Just send us an email and we will set you up.